[mythtvnz] PCIe DVB-S/S2 card

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun Mar 14 08:17:14 GMT 2010

It now looks like I will now be needing a DVB-S card to get the
Freeview and Sky EPG, but I am a complete newbie when it comes to
satellite TV stuff, so I could do with some help.  I have a Sky dish
connected to a Sky decoder (Pace DSR600) next to my MythTV box.  The
installers wired it for two connections to the dish in case I later
wanted a MySky box, so I have a spare connection I can use for a DVB-S
card.  But will that work with a Sky decoder on the other connector?
Do I need DVB-S or DVB-S2?  All the DVB-S2 cards I have seen so far
seem to also do DVB-S anyway.  And will I be able to get both the
Freeview and Sky EIT data with just one DVB-S/S2 card?

I also have a big problem.  My MythTV box only has one slot free, and
that is a PCIe x 1 slot.  PCIe support for TV tuner cards in Linux
seems rather rare to date.  This (TeVii S470):

http://www.justtech.co.nz/shop/satellite-equipment/tevii-s470-pci-express-satellite-tv-card

is the only PCIe DVB-S/S2 card I can find for sale in New Zealand that
says it is supported in Linux.  Is anyone using one of these?  Are
there any others that are suitable?  The S470 has a remote control
that I do not need (I already have two for this box), so a cheaper
card without one would be good.