[mythtvnz] Tuning mythtv in Dunedin

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Tue Mar 9 00:33:17 GMT 2010

On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 12:17:14 +1300, you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am running Mythbuntu 9.10 using a Hauppage HVR 1200 dvb-t card.  I
>have done as much setup as I can guess and I can get TV1, TV2 and TV3 on
>a channel scan, but no other freeview channels.  I can get analogue
>Prime, which I think is UHF, via the aerial I am using.
>
>I am not sure how to proceed from here.  How do I enter channel
>information manually?  I have been into the channel editor and am none
>the wiser...  (I am obviously a TV and mythtv newbie...)
>
>Thanks.
>
>Brendan

That sounds like you are have the TVNZ and CanWest multiplexes tuned
but are not getting the Kordia multiplex tuned correctly.  That is
what I get here in Palmerston North if I try to use rabbits ears.  Are
you using a good aerial?

Just using the channel editor will not work if you are trying to add
channels for a multiplex that is not tuned in.

The following presumes that you are using Mythbuntu 9.10.  To find out
what multiplexes you have got tuned, you can do a bit of simple SQL.
Cut and paste the following script into a file:

#!/bin/bash

# Run MySQL to access the mythconverg database.

source /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt
mysql -u $DBUserName -p$DBPassword -h $DBHostName $DBName

Chmod it to make it executable.  When you run it, you will get a mysql
prompt with Mythtv's mythconverg database open.  Then cut and paste
this SQL command (all on one line):

select mplexid,sourceid,transportid,networkid,frequency from
dtv_multiplex;

and you should get something like this:

+---------+----------+-------------+-----------+-----------+
| mplexid | sourceid | transportid | networkid | frequency |
+---------+----------+-------------+-----------+-----------+
|       1 |        1 |          27 |      8746 | 690000000 |
|       2 |        1 |          29 |      8746 | 706000000 |
|       3 |        1 |          33 |      8746 | 778000000 |

Then use:

quit;

to exit from MySQL.

If you have not got three multiplexes listed, they are not all tuned
in correctly.  The multiplexes are TVNZ (1), CanWest (2) and Kordia
(3).  The frequency values may be different for you, and the sourceid
will be whichever source you defined for DVB-T, but I think all the
other numbers are supposed to be the same around New Zealand.