[mythtvnz] Next problem --- Audio over DVI to HDMI

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 22:24:53 GMT 2010

On 7 March 2010 10:25, James Gray <james6.0 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> yes you can. Some chipsets will let you do this. dvi and hdmi are
>> electrically equivalent and the plugs don't care what is in the
>> digital signal they carry.
>>
> No it isn't. HDMI = DVI-D for video + SPDIF for audio + a few other things
> for control and content protection. DVI will not carry audio, it's a video
> interface.

Damn ... I wonder under what kind of magic I have sound over my DVI
output then.... which I use every day (because all I had at the time
was a DVI->HDMI cable)

On a HDMI cable; you do not have a distinct path for the audio signal
; it's all embedded in the TMS stream. So if a HDMI cable can carry
sound, so can a DVI cable.

Some video card with both HDMI and DVI output; actually are outputting
exactly the same signal ; so you can get sound over the DVI interface.

This topic comes up every month ...

Jean-Yves