[mythtvnz] Next problem --- Audio over DVI to HDMI

Douglas Pearless Douglas.Pearless at pearless.co.nz
Sun Mar 7 03:56:37 GMT 2010

I faced the same problem with my GT9400 card.

If it is a fanless one, be very careful as it may well have a fan
header and not a SPDIF header.  A few people have toasted their
motherboard's audio this way connecting their graphic card's 12v fan
header to the SPDIF audio input on their motherboard. (Not me
thankfully).

I tried al sorts of methods, in the end I purchased a cheap NVIDIA
GT220 card which has integrated 8 channel digital audio over HDMI,
plus the graphics processor is faster than a GT9400 & disabled the
onboard integrated audio.

I had to patch ALSA to get it going, and I have audio fade every 10
minutes or so for about 2 seconds, BUT an engineer at NVIDIA has been
working with the ALSA developers and they are almost there with an
official patch for ALSA.

I then ran the HDMI over 2xcat5e using a pair of baluns and I am very
happy with this (my media server is 10m from my lounge).  I also run a
wireless infrared remote using USB over cat5e which means later I can
add a USB hub in my lounge and plug in a DVD player, etc.

Just need to get the final patches for ALSA sorted...

Cheers
Douglas.