[mythtvnz] Problem with desktop extending beyond screen edge

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Sat Mar 6 22:07:46 GMT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ross and Jemima Knudsen" <ross.jemima at gmail.com>
To: <mythtvnz at lists.linuxnut.co.nz>
Sent: Saturday, March 06, 2010 10:13 PM
Subject: [mythtvnz] Problem with desktop extending beyond screen edge

> Hi all,
>
> Not sure if this is a myth problem directly or not. I just got a new LCD
> TV (42" Konka - nice and cheap from DSE).  However I'm having trouble
> with the resolution.  I can set it to 1080P and get the DVI to HDMI
> output on the TV fine however I'm missing all the sides of the screen.
> So I can't see my taskbar at the top or bottom of the screen and am
> missing a small area from the edges.  I'm running Ubuntu 9.10 AMD_64.
> I've searched on the web a little but am getting sick of wrecking my
> xconfig files and having to fix the display up!  I tried connecting my
> Windows 7 laptop to the DVI cable and it displays perfectly with no
> missing edges at the same resolution so I can be confident that the TV
> is working OK

Hmmm.  Can you though?  Is it actually displaying true 1080p as claimed?  One test is to display an image with alternating coloured
parallel adjacent lines that are each a pixel wide and see if they are detailed, as well as if they are all detailed.   Test
patterns are also available on the Internet.  There should be 1080 horizontal lines seen (and debatably 1920 vertical lines) for
1080p display.