[mythtvnz] Next problem --- Audio over DVI to HDMI

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 19:51:29 GMT 2010

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 2:07 AM, James Gray <james6.0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 11:14 PM, Ross and Jemima Knudsen
> <ross.jemima at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> New problem to tackle now.
>>
>> I'd like to know if its possible to run audio over my DVI to HDMI cable
>> to my TV.
>
> Uh... not from the DVI port...

yes you can. Some chipsets will let you do this. dvi and hdmi are
electrically equivalent and the plugs don't care what is in the
digital signal they carry.

If it's an integrated video chipset (ie on motherboard) it may not
need any physical connection set up. If it's a discrete graphics card
you probably need a cable from the motherboard spdif header to the
graphics card.

But it depends on your hardware!

I thought surround51 was for setups where you have 6 analogue speakers
connected to your computer, eg by three 3.5mm stereo plugs. I think
you should be looking for alsa:iec958. But what does aplay -L and
aplay -l say? (that's upper and lowercase -L)