[mythtvnz] xbmc (was Re: playback profiles filters)

Hadley Rich hads at nice.net.nz
Fri Jun 25 10:43:30 BST 2010

On Fri, 2010-06-25 at 00:38 +1200, Steve Hodge wrote:
> LiveTV I could live without. But does XBMC now do timestretch? Don't
> think I could give that up. What about commercial skipping? Or do you
> have to transcode?

I've been playing with XBMC again lately. It's pretty sweet.

With the current version and mythbackend 0.23 it doesn't require any
external scripts and the like to access myth. You can add a video source
such as myth://mythtv:mythtv@10.1.2.3

This will give you menus such as;

All recordings
Guide
Live channels
Movies
TV shows

By default it automatically skips commercials that are found. I don't
think you can do timestretch. You can make programs record while
watching livetv I discovered this evening.

The interface is very slick, especially comparing the music interface to
the likes of myth. I'm not currently using it as a full time frontend
but am in places that are more suited to a jukebox suited or in the main
room when TV isn't being watched.

The myth integration is basic but quite usable. I miss the watchlist
feature, that gets heavy use here.

My new super favourite is the Android remote, as well as a standard
remote you can browse your TV/Movie/Music collection and play items
directly, do popups on the TV on incoming calls/SMS and other really
neat things.

hads
--
http://nicegear.co.nz
New Zealand's Open Source Hardware Supplier