[mythtvnz] Switching from Fedora to Ubuntu?

Wade Maxfield mythtvnz at hotblack.co.nz
Mon Jun 14 02:10:24 BST 2010

On 1/06/10 3:06 PM, Simon Green wrote:
> On 1 June 2010 12:49, Wade Maxfield<mythtvnz at hotblack.co.nz>  wrote:
>
>> I'm thinking about going Mythbuntu with 10.04LTS.
>>
>> Any tips or pointers for a switcher?  Things I need to be aware of?
>>

> Go to  http://mythbuntu.org/upgrading, and click on the link 'Clean Install
> of Mythbuntu, keeping old database'. These instructions should make life
> easy if you keep the files in the same location and want to keep your
> existing data.
>
> Or should I just keep on with the Fedora upgrade cycle?
>>

> Having used Mythbuntu since it's release, I prefer it over Fedora (but then
> I've never install Mythdora).
>
>    -- simon

I first followed Jarod Wilson's Fedora guide for MythTV 0.18 (as a total
linux newbie - but with OS X CLI experience), which was slow going but
at least you got to understand all the bits.  When 0.21 was released I
switched to MythDora 5.21, which was familiar enough but hid some bits,
and moved others.  Mythbuntu moves things around on me again. 8)

I was planning on building a new machine, rather than upgrade my old
Athlon64 so went with Mythbuntu 10.04 to see what it's like, and if I
didn't like it, I could always start again with Mythdora.  Things being
in different places, plus trying to figure out how particular items are
launched, took a fair bit of googling, grepping and trial and error. I
had a fair number of weird things to re-setup (custom scripts to run
epgsnoop, and extra massaging the data after that, UPS, WAF friendly
kill/start mythfrontend from remote, etc), but it's all up and going
nicely now.

I think I like Ubuntu in general, particularly the way it suggests to
install a package if you try running some software that isn't actually
installed, and how easy it is to get packages from that point. Also nice
is how much faster the packages download compared to using ATrpms.

Overall definitely worth doing, and I've even managed to get AirVideo
Server going with minimal fuss.

  - Wade