[mythtvnz] Cutting H.264 DVB-T files with ffmpeg without transcoding

Jonathan Hoskin jonathan.hoskin at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 22:56:09 BST 2010

> Anybody worked out a reliable way to cut recordings from Freeview
> terrestrial using ffmpeg?

Nope. I wonder if the developers have properly addressed it / been made
aware of it.

ffmpeg -async 1 -ss [start time] -t [duration] -i recording.mpg -vcodec

copy -acodec ac3 -ab 384k -f dvd cut_recording.mpg

> The "-async 1" seems to be needed to keep audio in sync with video. The
> "-f dvd" might (not sure yet) be a fix for av mux errors. Audio is
> transcoded to AC3 since most channels only have LATM AAC audio.

"-f dvd" uses a MPEG2-PS container - H.264 isn't supported in the MPEG-PS
file format:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/417130#417130