[mythtvnz] PS3 as a UPnP client

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 06:53:39 BST 2010

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 10:47 AM, Jonathan Hoskin
<jonathan.hoskin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Recently setup our PS3 as a UPnP client for MythTV and was surprised
>> when it just worked.
>
> Yep - the picture quality of Freeview HD from a PS3 is shatteringly awesome.
> Much better than anything else I have seen. I too got quite excited about
> this about 12 months ago, but eventually gave up because of....
>

>> Now if it wasn't for the audio problem (TV3
>> recordings are OK), it shows real promise.
>
> ^ that.
>

>> Anyone know of any
>> workarounds to get it to playback the audio from the other NZ Freeview
>> digital channels?
>
> I tried a couple of hacks:
> 1. Transcode LATM audio to AC3 or AAC using cvlc via a Myth user job
> immediately after recording, where channel != TV3, then repack the
> unmodified video + modified audio into a new mpeg-ts container. This was a
> FAIL because the resulting container from VLC was rejected by the PS3, which
> is *real* bitchy about format compliance.
> 2. Tried using the unfortunately name but very handy PMS (
> http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/ ) in conjunction with MythArchive
> (now called MythLink): http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythlink.pl - at the time
> PMS didn't have the brains or the steam to do this on the fly, but things
> might have changed.
> Obviously both of these only work well with completed recordings. I like to
> watch some of my stuff before it finishes recording, so I pulled the plug on
> what was becoming a WAF-draining, time-sucking project.
> Another feature that really blew it though is just how noisy the PS3 is,
> compared to some of the ~silent PC / MacMini options available.
> Would love to hear how you get on.

They (PS3) also use a large amount of power, even at idle according to
what i have read on the mythtv-users mailing list.

Is the picture better than vdpau? I haven't really seen a PS3 in action.

I wonder if there is a better formula for transcoding that audio?
There are other options like handbrake, ffmpeg, avidemux.

I don't have a terrestrial setup but if someone pointed me to a
suitable sample file I would play around until I got sick of it, and
make the recoded samples available to someone with a PS3 to test.