[mythtvnz] Remotes available locally?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 20:45:25 GMT 2010

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 10:10 PM, Tortise <tortise at paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> [...]

nahh thats the best part, their hardware is fine...

> ?Nail polish/paint it out
>
> on a remote powering my
>> MythTV system, I think that the MCE remotes are the best bet:
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MCE_Remote
>
> They seem as simple as anything to setup, simpler than the IR devices that connect to the Tuner cards
>

>> The MythTV wiki makes it clear that there are differences between
>> versions 1 and 2, but doesn't talk much about differences between the
>> version 2 remotes.  I would be keen for any insights from people on the
>> list who have them.  As far as I can see, all of the recent ones have
>> the same buttons and would use the same configuration files etc.  Is
>> one's choice determined by shape preference, price, availability and
>> whether or not it comes with a blaster?
>>
>> I understand that the most recent remote, the RC1974506/00 Philips
>> SRM5100 (http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=218979 ), has all the new
>> features (like programmable power and volume buttons, to control your TV
>> etc. instead of your Myth box -- I don't know which, if any, of the
>> others have this),
>
> I don't know either, but would be interested if someone can clarify please...

I have the one second from the left on the
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MCE_Remote wiki page. The power and volume
buttons are  programmable. I have the power operating the sony TV and
the volume mapped to my external 5.1 amp.

The receiver is Bus 003 Device 003: ID 0471:0815 Philips eHome
Infrared Receiver and came with IR transmit hardware, but I have never
used it.

> but does not come with an IR Blaster and some people
>> don't like the square shape.
>
> That is predictable.
>
>  I remember seeing this for $39, so it
>> seems to have gone up a bit recently.
>>
>> The 1069/335(UK/AU) black Hauppauge
>> (http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=378244 ) and
>> "Hauppauge PVR- kit" (http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=425719 and
>> http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=425720 ) look like they come with a
>> blaster and are the "dog bone" shape.
>>
>> Your http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=JOYHGA0004 is a yet another
>> different version 2 remote.

this one attracted me as it looks to have exactly the same layout as
my existing remote, but its not easy to tell precisely from the photo.

backlight is good on te existing remote, but i am told the hauppauge
does not have a backilight