[mythtvnz] Remotes available locally?

Aaron Whitehouse lists at whitehouse.org.nz
Fri Jan 22 08:42:23 GMT 2010

Hello,

James Booth wrote:
> I use the Phillips badged version. PB Tech have the Hauppauge version for
> $55.
>
> http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=JOYHGA0004

I too have been keeping an eye on standalone remote controls. I'm
currently using a bttv software analogue card that came with a remote,
but intend to replace it with a Hauppauge HVR-2200 in the medium term
(when its drivers and the H.264 playback mess sorts itself a bit more).

Much as it would irk me to have a Microsoft logo on a remote powering my
MythTV system, I think that the MCE remotes are the best bet:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MCE_Remote
Though I haven't read about the recent performance problems that were
alluded to.

Also, with the shake-up in LIRC, my guess is that the MCE Remote is
likely to be one of the first remotes to be recoded into whatever style
they ultimately go with:
http://lwn.net/Articles/364515/

The MythTV wiki makes it clear that there are differences between
versions 1 and 2, but doesn't talk much about differences between the
version 2 remotes.  I would be keen for any insights from people on the
list who have them.  As far as I can see, all of the recent ones have
the same buttons and would use the same configuration files etc.  Is
one's choice determined by shape preference, price, availability and
whether or not it comes with a blaster?

I understand that the most recent remote, the RC1974506/00 Philips
SRM5100 (http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=218979 ), has all the new
features (like programmable power and volume buttons, to control your TV
etc. instead of your Myth box -- I don't know which, if any, of the
others have this), but does not come with an IR Blaster and some people
don't like the square shape.  I remember seeing this for $39, so it
seems to have gone up a bit recently.

The 1069/335(UK/AU) black Hauppauge
(http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=378244 ) and
"Hauppauge PVR- kit" (http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=425719 and
http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=425720 ) look like they come with a
blaster and are the "dog bone" shape.

Your http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=JOYHGA0004 is a yet another
different version 2 remote.

Does anybody know anything about the differences?

Regards,

Aaron