[mythtvnz] Remotes available locally?

Wade Maxfield mythtvnz at hotblack.co.nz
Tue Jan 19 04:06:21 GMT 2010

On 19/01/10 3:36 PM, Nick Rout wrote:

>> >  Maybe the best things to get is a PS3 Bluetooth Remote and a BT USB
>> >  Receiver or some kind. BT work alot better than a IR remote and the unit
>> >  doesn't have to be line of slight from the remote
>
> hmmm yes I have a button sized USB BT thingy that could work well.
> Considering I want to put the whole thing out of site behind the TV
> this could work well.
>
> How easy is it to integrate this in mythtv?

I've tried the Sony BT remote with MythTV on OS X.  I would NOT
recommend it.

It was easy enough to set up and map keys, but the layout is the
standard old 80s style rectangular mess like a VCR remote.  I could live
with that for the price (< $50), but the damn thing chews through
batteries, and the OS X software (Remote Buddy) tries to compensate for
that fact by disconnecting from the remote so that it goes in to a low
power mode (after 90-120 seconds at a guess).  Fair enough, but then
when you want to skip a commercial (or any button press) the remote
needs to reconnect to the mac before it can do your command. So the
first button press reactivates the remote, 2-5 seconds later after it's
connected, you can finally push the button you really wanted it to do.
And you have to do this at every commercial break. Deal breaker.

I haven't tried getting it to work with linux, so it may be better
behaved, but then the battery life will really come into play. Even with
the low power stunts it still went through a set of alkalines in less
than 2 weeks.

  - Wade