[mythtvnz] Commercial detection

David Teirney mythtvnz at teirney.net
Fri Jan 15 21:37:20 GMT 2010

> From: Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz>
> Subject: Re: [mythtvnz] Commercial detection
> To: MythTV in NZ <mythtvnz at lists.linuxnut.co.nz>
>
> On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 21:21:33 +1300, you wrote:
>
>>James Gray wrote:
>>> Iirc there are a number of different ways it uses to identify them...
>>> Commercials do have less dynamic range, which makes then seem louder
>>
>>http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Commflagging
>>It does not seem that volume is used. If you are really keen, you could
>>write something that does:
>>http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/How_to_write_a_new_method_of_commercial_detection
>>
>>Commercial detection worked really well for me in the past, but recently
>>(9.10?) it doesn't seem to catch any of them.
>
> With Mythbuntu 9.10 I have found that commercial detection only works
> reasonably on some Sky channels I record as MPEG2 using an S-Video
> input from my Sky decoder.  It is pretty useless for the FreeviewHD
> channels (DVB-T).  I am wondering if it is a Mythbuntu 9.10 problem, a
> MythTV 0.22 problem, or maybe just that the detection does not work
> well with DVB-T H.264 recordings.

What Commercial Break detection method are you using? I did some
testing across all of them for the Freeview|HD channels and found
"Logo Detection" to be the best. "Use all available methods" was
hopeless, seeming to get the worst matches from all of the different
types and using those. Logo Detection (or any of the single choices)
is also much faster to do than "Use all available methods".

Regards,
David