[mythtvnz] Commercial detection

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri Jan 15 09:46:40 GMT 2010

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 21:21:33 +1300, you wrote:

>James Gray wrote:
>> Iirc there are a number of different ways it uses to identify them...
>> Commercials do have less dynamic range, which makes then seem louder
>
>http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Commflagging
>It does not seem that volume is used. If you are really keen, you could
>write something that does:
>http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/How_to_write_a_new_method_of_commercial_detection
>
>Commercial detection worked really well for me in the past, but recently
>(9.10?) it doesn't seem to catch any of them.

With Mythbuntu 9.10 I have found that commercial detection only works
reasonably on some Sky channels I record as MPEG2 using an S-Video
input from my Sky decoder.  It is pretty useless for the FreeviewHD
channels (DVB-T).  I am wondering if it is a Mythbuntu 9.10 problem, a
MythTV 0.22 problem, or maybe just that the detection does not work
well with DVB-T H.264 recordings.