[mythtvnz] Sky setup...

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri Jan 15 08:31:18 GMT 2010

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 16:05:21 +1300, you wrote:

>On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 9:44 AM, David Lowe <david at thistledown.co.nz> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 8:55 PM, Stephen Worthington <
>> stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>>

>>> Using an IRBlaster to change channels is not always reliable.  I still
>>> have the occasional problem where a digit gets missed, so I think I
>>> might need a small sleep command or two to delay things a little.
>>>
>>> Thanks Stephen for your comprehensive note. Just on reliability, I have
>> been using the other script I referred to for over two years without a
>> hitch. I guess the difference is indeed the sleep command but I dont know
>> how to include it in your script.
>>

>Put it in after each of the system calls in the script, i.e.
>  if ($channel_digit_0 != "0") {
>     system("irsend SEND_ONCE $remote_name $channel_digit_1");
>     sleep 1;
>  }
>  system("irsend SEND_ONCE $remote_name $channel_digit_2");
>  sleep 1;
>  system("irsend SEND_ONCE $remote_name $channel_digit_3");

I get the feeling that a 1 second delay between digits might be a
little too much.  The other sky.sh script has 0.1 seconds, which
sounds much more reasonable.  If you are too slow sending digits to
the Sky decoder, it times out and changes to the channel given by the
digits it has already received.  Since Perl does not seem to have the
ability to sleep for fractions of a second (at least with any builtin
Perl function I have found so far), I think I may change over to using
a modified version of the sky.sh script in order to do short delays.

>Personally I'm a little confused as to why the Sky channels have been set up
>in the range of 1000-1999? Wouldn't it be simpler to set the freqid of the
>Sky channel to the actual channel number? You can still have MythTV use
>1000-1999 by setting the channum to that and leave the freqid as the actual
>channel number (e.g. The Box could be channel number = 1005, freqid = 5).
>That way you only have to send one digit to the Sky box which would make
>channel changes quicker and less prone to errors (for channels 1-9).

Yes, I could have set up the freqid values that way.  I just found it
easier to remove the front 1000 digit in the channel change script,
rather than go back over my SQL and change all the freqid values.