[mythtvnz] The dreaded 'prebuffering pause'

John Russell john at enuffsaid.co.nz
Sat Jan 9 07:32:53 GMT 2010

Howdy,
Can someone give me some pointers on resolving this?

During live tv viewing I'm getting constant prebuffering pause warnings in the
log, with their associated audio and video stutters.

When watching live tv, mythfrontend is at around 105-110% CPU time according
to top. Myth FE and BE are on the one box.

I've compiled mythtv from source:
http://svn.mythtv.org/svn/branches/release-0-22-fixes/ mythtv-0-22
and patched with the mythtv_ffmpeg_r20504.diff patch. I can minimise (but not
eliminate) stuttering by switching to Alsa:HDMI but then I would prefer to use
the 5.1 setup I have. I have tried every option in the audio setup, but still
the stuttering persists.

I can play back DVDs without any (apparent) issues.

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EG41MF-US2H (embedded Intel G41 video)
RAM: 4gb interleaved DDR2 800
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo (E7500) 2.93GHz
USB DVB-T card: AverTV Volar Black HD (afatech AF9015 firmware loaded)

This is on a minimal install of OpenSuse 11.2 64 (just X and TVWM - no Gnome
or KDE installed/running).

I haven't yet checked to see if XvMC is working/installed yet - I'm googling
that now as I have no idea what it is or how it could help.

Any ideas anyone?
Thanks
John