[mythtvnz] Minimum CPU for FreeviewHD

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Sat Feb 27 20:39:51 GMT 2010

On Sat, February 27, 2010 12:16 pm, Aaron Whitehouse wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> Steven Ellis wrote:
>> I've got HD playback working on an Athlon X2 6000+ but it isn't reliable
>> with occasional issues on TV3. The biggest problem is finding a CPU
>> where you don't end up with your fan running at full speed
>
> Geoff wrote:
>  > I'm using CPU only on 2 machines, both with Nova T-500's
>  > 1st is a Core2 e7200 (2.54Ghz)
>  > 2nd is a Core e8400 (3.0Ghz)
>  > I thought I could get away with having the loop filter on for TV1 on
>  > the 3Ghz box, but just isn't quite enough depending on the bit rate of
>  > the stream that coming in. It's fine with it off.
>
> I noticed that we now have quite a few Athlon II x2s available in NZ,
> which are based on the Phenom II core. My understanding is that these
> have significant performance improvements over the Athlon Is.
>
> My hope is that, if an Athlon I 3GHz could nearly play 1080i TV3, some
> of the new Athlon IIs would be able to play it properly. Steven, I
> assume that you had the loop filter off to get it to work anywhere near
> okay?

Yes I had loopfilter disabled. My own rig currently has a 5050BE processor
which doesn't even cut it for 720p playback. My test rig is a 6000+ which
can manage 720p but can't do 1080i without VDPAU on the graphics card.
None of my current test boards can take an AM3 so I haven't had a chance
to play with some of the newer Athlon CPUs yet.

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited - The Home of myPVR
email   - steven at openmedia.co.nz
website - http://www.openmedia.co.nz