[mythtvnz] Minimum CPU for FreeviewHD

Aaron Whitehouse lists at whitehouse.org.nz
Sat Feb 27 01:11:47 GMT 2010

Nick Rout wrote:
>> I would think that everyone out there who is actually playing TV3 will
>> be using VDPAU on an Nvidia GPU.

> I agree, it seems pointless adding more and more cpu power when a gpu
> does it so much more efficiently, and everyone says what a wonderful
> picture you get with the vdpau deinterlacers too.

Well, my thinking was that I would like a new CPU anyway -- I'm
currently running an AMD LE-1250 2.4GHz that really doesn't have any
guts to it at all and I only bought because the NZ-US exchange rate was
brutal at the time. There is also the whole Free driver issue.

That said, nVidia seems to be the standard answer, it seems to actually
work and I'm sick of waiting for my 780G to be able to do it, so I've
thrown a bid on an 8600 GT. If I get it cheap then I'll go down that
road. I can always buy a new CPU and they only tend to get better/lower
power (though the current exchange rate is quite good).

On that note, I'm keen to take out my software encoding card, which is
the card that has the remote on it.  New remotes seem to be around
$60-70, which is more than I wanted to pay. If anyone on the list has an
old USB MCE remote kicking around that they would part with for around
$20-30, please let me know -- it would be going to a good (Free
software) home.

Thanks for everyone's help. I still would be keen to know whether the
new CPUs can hack our HD.

Regards,

Aaron