[mythtvnz] Minimum CPU for FreeviewHD

Aaron Whitehouse lists at whitehouse.org.nz
Fri Feb 26 23:16:33 GMT 2010

Hello again,

Geoff wrote:
 > I'm using CPU only on 2 machines, both with Nova T-500's
 > 1st is a Core2 e7200 (2.54Ghz)
 > 2nd is a Core e8400 (3.0Ghz)
 > I thought I could get away with having the loop filter on for TV1 on
 > the 3Ghz box, but just isn't quite enough depending on the bit rate of
 > the stream that coming in. It's fine with it off.

I noticed that we now have quite a few Athlon II x2s available in NZ,
which are based on the Phenom II core. My understanding is that these
have significant performance improvements over the Athlon Is.

My hope is that, if an Athlon I 3GHz could nearly play 1080i TV3, some
of the new Athlon IIs would be able to play it properly. Steven, I
assume that you had the loop filter off to get it to work anywhere near
okay?

If you look at some of the benchmarks, the new 3GHz Athlon IIs do look
better:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=96&p2=28&c=1

I was originally considering the 240e, but the 255 seems to have a lower
idle power (it is slightly higher on full), obviously has .3 GHz more
power and seems cheaper than the energy-efficient chips (only the 235e
is available here anyway):
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=114&p2=121&c=1

Does anybody out there have one of the new Athlon IIs? It would be great
to know if the 240, 250 or 255 can handle TV3.

Also, what's the current status of FreeviewHD playback in 0.22, as in
Mythbuntu 9.10? As far I can see from the samples, they work fine, but
my CPU isn't good enough -- I thought I read something on here though
about a patch that still needs to go upstream.

Finally, does anybody know if any of the ffmpeg-mt patches have made it
into ffmpeg mainline? There doesn't seem to be any information available
except for the Git summary, which I'm not very good at reading. As far
as I can tell, only a very small amount of the decoding needs to be
multithreaded for it to work.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Aaron