[mythtvnz] Frontend over slow wifi link

criggie at criggie.dyndns.org criggie at criggie.dyndns.org
Mon Feb 22 05:36:32 GMT 2010

Graeme Woollett wrote:
>> How slow is "slow" ?  I ran mythfrontend on a laptop for ages without a
>> problem.
>>

> Speeds can range between 500-900KB/s depending on what other users are
> doing, the link is not exclusive.

My comments above related to ~20 metres around a home.  Going 2
kilometres should be possible.

I've heard of 10 km at 5 Mbit (not sure if that's effective or just the
established speed)

How have you put the aerial into the sky dish?  A USB device at the
focal point and a long USB cable to a PC?   Beg / borrow / steal a
couple of proper omnidirectional 2.4 GHz aerials and try again.

Or fit 5 GHz 802.11a  gear on each end.  You are using a pair of
dedicated APs in a bridge, not a client and AP model, right?

Engenius have some souped up APs that have power outputs in the range of
Lots to Scarey.  They're around $250ish each

What are you aiming for?  I used bwm to measure total bytes/sec to my
frontend while playing back some stuff.

Average speed (ranges up and down a bit)
650 kB/sec Analogue capture from a VHS tape (awful qual, not transcoded)
250 kB/sec	SD cartoons from TV2 on DVB-S
600-700 kB/sec	Same as above at double-speed playback
500 kB/sec	SD from C4 (crocodile dundee)

1150 kB/sec	Live TV from analogue UHF
1160 kB/sec	Live TV on TV2, SD from DVB-S

200 kBytes/sec	Playback of an exported AVI file

So you're aiming for 12 Mbit real throughput for SD content.  I have no
numbers around the speeds required for HD content.

--
Criggie

http://criggie.dyndns.org/