[mythtvnz] Looking for Hardware... (Pt 2)

Russell Best russell at justcomms.co.nz
Mon Feb 15 19:59:37 GMT 2010

mythtvnz-request at lists.linuxnut.co.nz wrote:

Or you can try something completely different:

If you can easily run cat5 between your TV and somewhere else, then you can (as I do) run HDMI over 2 x cat5 with audio (full HD) and use a wireless (either RF or infrared over wireless) remote extender.

This has the advantage that the is virtually no kit in your lounge, you can use what ever case, harddrives, etc you like and as size is not an issue, you can use much cheaper (larger) parts.

I do this and my noisy HTPC is out of site and out of mind.  In fact I have just replaced the wireless remote extended with a USB over cat5 extender and placed the USB remote receiver onto this; later I will add a powered USB hub and connect a USB DVD drive and hey presto I'll just have what I need in the lounge with ZERO noise.

Cheers
Douglas.

I too can endorse this approach, having used a similar setup for 2-3 years with my bedroom screen. I use 3 Cat 5e cables as my LCD only has a DVI input so 2 cable transmit the video and the third is split between a stereo audio balun and an IR extender. As Douglas points out more modern equipment can provide a more elegant solution with HD capabilities etc.

I ran the cables around the house (using some outdoor rated Cat 5e) and through the wall behind the LCD making for an easy install (although a little untidy) and hid the hardware behind the LCD  also so it is invisible (except for the IR receiver). My only complaint has been that the IR extender I use has some delay which is a bit of a pain but not so much that I have been motivated to do anything about it!

I think that this solution has all the advantages that Douglas has already pointed out plus for me I would not be able to have Myth in the bedroom any other way, the idea of a "computer" in the lounge creates considerable opposition with management so suggesting having one in the bedroom dosen't even bear thinking about!

Cheers
Russell