[mythtvnz] Looking for Hardware... (Pt 2)

Douglas Pearless Douglas.Pearless at pearless.co.nz
Mon Feb 15 03:23:09 GMT 2010

Or you can try something completely different:

If you can easily run cat5 between your TV and somewhere else, then you can (as I do) run HDMI over 2 x cat5 with audio (full HD) and use a wireless (either RF or infrared over wireless) remote extender.

This has the advantage that the is virtually no kit in your lounge, you can use what ever case, harddrives, etc you like and as size is not an issue, you can use much cheaper (larger) parts.

I do this and my noisy HTPC is out of site and out of mind.  In fact I have just replaced the wireless remote extended with a USB over cat5 extender and placed the USB remote receiver onto this; later I will add a powered USB hub and connect a USB DVD drive and hey presto I'll just have what I need in the lounge with ZERO noise.

Cheers
Douglas.