[mythtvnz] Equalizing audio levels in mythtv

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 06:40:37 GMT 2010

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 6:51 PM, feadog <feadog at orcon.net.nz> wrote:

> sorry, spdif is next years project, but I wonder why ac3 should be
> treated differently than mp2.

AC3 is not just a bunch of raw samples - it's an encoded format. SPDIF only
supports 2 channel 16 bit PCM samples at specific rates (48, 44.1, 32kHz).
Both AC3 and DTS are wedged into that format so you can't look at the 2
channel SPDIF data and draw any conclusions about the multi-channel content
it represents. Try outputing DTS by SPDIF to a receiver that doesn't
understand DTS and you'll see what I mean! The only way to manipulate the
volume (or anything else) is to decode the signal to descrete channels, do
whatever you want to those channels, and then re-encode it afterwards. I
think that can be done, but it's not the same as manipulating PCM data like
the setup you've got does.

Cheers,