[mythtvnz] Recording from Line In

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 02:42:03 GMT 2010

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 3:16 PM, Stephen Worthington
<stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
> My mother would like to be able to record from the local Gramophone
> Room classical FM station here in Palmerston North.  She currently
> listens to it via an FM tuner, and it would be fairly simple to wire
> that to the Line In audio socket on the motherboard of her MythTV box.
> But is there any way to make MythTV record from Line In?  Or is there
> any other software that would be able to do that, including recording
> at programmed times, and work alongside MythTV?

If you have an analogue encoder card with composite plus line-in you
could use that. Same setup as for recording from, eg, a video camera
or other external source. Make a dummy input etc.

You need to set up manual recording schedules unless you find/make an
xmltv epg file for it.

For recording from line-in on the sound card I have successfully used
gramofile, http://www.opensourcepartners.nl/~costar/gramofile/ which
is designed to record vinyl from a turntable and then analyse the pops
and clicks out. However it will record anything plugged into line-in.
Whether that can be scripted I do not know. Certainly arecord can be.
Either way a script could name the file and pop it into the music
directory on the backend, or incorporate it into the recordings
database.

gramofile is in the ubuntu repos. I love the man page:

DESCRIPTION
       GramoFile  provides  an  interactive, integrated front end to
sample audio data from gramophone records or similar sources, to
analyse and enhance them.  While being text-based, it uses a menu
system that yields  easy  access  to individual  functions.
Highlights  include  a mode for automatic detection and splitting of
single tracks from a larger recording, and several filters to reduce
ticks and other noise in the audio data.  An integrated help  system
offers context sensitive information.

KNOWN BUGS
       This man page had better contain less marketing speak, but some
actual information on use of the program.