[mythtvnz] Making recordings drive spin down

Aaron Whitehouse lists at whitehouse.org.nz
Sat Dec 25 08:40:26 GMT 2010

Hello all,

I have followed the advice of everyone on the list and finally separated
out my recordings drive from my system drive. (System is on a WD AV-GP
and recordings is a WD GP (non-AV) with half its head parks gone before
I tracked down the Linux issue.)

Now all that is on the recordings drive is recordings, so as far as I
can see I should be able to make it spin down after an hour and a half
of inactivity--which means it can rest for about 20 hours a day when we
are neither recording nor watching TV. I've set up the hdparm thing, but
it isn't spinning down.

My guess is that it is because MythTV is waking it up every 15 mins to
check if it needs to AutoExpire recordings to make space--I like to have
it mark recordings as deleted and only actually delete them when I run
out of space. I will not be putting anything else on the drive, so I
would ideally like it not to keep checking the drive, but rather only
check when it is recording to the drive. Is this possible?

As an aside, I think that it should be the default to only check the
drive when it is recording or, as a concession to those who do fill
their drive up with other things, when you go into the recordings part
of MythTV.

I tried to get a single hard drive to sleep for the time it wasn't
recording or anything, but that seems nigh on impossible.

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas all!

Regards,

Aaron