[mythtvnz] Video Card Suggestion for HD

Aaron Whitehouse lists at whitehouse.org.nz
Sat Dec 18 01:45:58 GMT 2010

Hi,

On 18/12/10 14:01, Rama Madhusudhan wrote:
> I am after a video card for my new full HD plasma TV which has HDMI and
> VGA input. What are the options for these two inputs? Does VGA do full HD?

VGA (also called D-Sub) does full HD, but involves a
digital->analogue->digital conversion. DVI or HDMI stays digital the
whole way. HDMI includes audio on the same cable.

For HD, you really want an nVidia card with VDPAU, so anything better
than an 8600GT:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Vdpau

I hate that you have to use non-Free drivers, but at the moment it is a
much better option than any of the cards with Free driver.

Aaron