[mythtvnz] FrontEnds Controlling Audio Mains Power

Brett mythicalbeast at slingshot.co.nz
Mon Dec 13 01:57:51 GMT 2010

> I think that works over the HDMI cable using "CEC" version 5 technology
> (aka HDAVI control 5) that has yet to make its way into the NVIDIA
> cards.  It works well, e.g. a Sony CAM connected via HDMI is controlled
> by the TV's remote.  Nice.  Shame its not more extensibe.  My AV amps
> are older than the newer HDMI ones, I suppose I could upgrade them ($$)
> but that still would not integrate mythtv.

It is a shame..the RC codes were open.
This smart proprietary stuff is just meant to lock you into one vendor ?

> Yes it didn't take long to work out that the best viewing came from the
> (home) "dynamic" setting, which is the only setting that realistically
> stands besides the best bright LCD's in the current competitive
> marketplace.

The extreme contrast setting (default) is to make them compare
favourably to LCDs in really bright shops.

Turn on/set Just-scan direct-pixel mapping, turn off  Intelligent Frame
Creator.
Have to use HDMI connection.

> in.  Some other comments - they do not take 1080p via component but do
> over HDMI, most peers of a similar standard do both.  Their website also
I doubt any TV, worth consideration, would allow 1080p except via HDMI;
they're not allowed to do it.
The analogue (VGA, component) inputs are almost always non-native (&
lower max) resolutions.
DVI is only an option on the Pana pro plasma display range & they do not
compare to V20 for PQ/resolution/cost.

I did not find any TVs that did not require HDMI to make them work well
as a display.
IFAIK native pixel mapping/just-scan are only available using HDMI;
sometimes called PC input mode.

The power consumption for normal picture settings is meant to be very
similar to LCD.
My guess with power consumption is that plasma is limited by switching
losses & LCD is limited more by backlight efficiency.

The next generation LED backlight might be more efficient but then new
3D versions of both plasma & LCD use more power, the LCD may be worse
because the increased pixel clocking rate...