[mythtvnz] dvd playback problem

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 03:15:37 BST 2010

On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 1:47 PM, stuart <stugo at xtra.co.nz> wrote:

> Hi Nick and Brett
> Had some issue getting log as the one I sent was bounced because of size.
> In the end deleted all logs started sytem up  from scratch shutdown front
> end and checked it looked ok and the restarted and tried to load dvd . It
> looks to me like it has a issue with loadeding the dvd, but from there I
> would be lost.
> answer to Bretts questions:
> Dvd mounts on desktop and say what the disk is, no other action is asked,
> from there I am able to run it in vlc but only in stereo and not in dts to
> the amp but the signal is being passed by the optical cable.
>  And as my Linux ability is weak to at best how do I check that mythtv has
> access to drive?
> Once again thanks a lot for putting up with my lack of knowledge

The log reveals the problem:

libdvdread: Can't stat /dev/dvd
No such file or directory
libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version svnR1169
libdvdnav: vm: failed to open/read the DVD
2010-08-08 13:31:14.493 Failed to open DVD device at /dev/dvd

Mythtv is looking for the dvd at /dev/dvd. This is apparently not what your
dvd device is set up as. You need to correct the device name in Mythfrontend
setup->Media settings->Videos settings->General settings page 3. In my
system the dvd is /dev/cdrom, it could be that on your system or it could be
/dev/dvd0 or something else.

Cheers,