[mythtvnz] System freezes thrashing HDD

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Sun Apr 25 13:13:59 BST 2010

On 25/04/2010, at 9:56 PM, Phill Coxon wrote:

> On Sun, 2010-04-25 at 21:41 +1200, Aaron Whitehouse wrote:
>
>> It seems that, after all of that, it was a hardware issue. I have
>> replaced the hard drive (a WD Green 1TB) with a spare one that I had and
>> all is working really well. It's a pity that I can't get the hours back,
>> but I'm really glad to have found and solved the problem.
>
> I'm a bit late into the discussion here but I think I can tell you
> exactly what the problem is as I've just struck something very similar.
>
> Take a look at this link:
>
> http://www.greengecko.co.nz/node/21
>
> "WD Green disks are formatted with 4096 byte blocks, not the usual 512.
> While this shouldn't be a problem, it doesn't report this fact properly.
> Also, if partitions aren't actually created on a 4k boundary, then
> performance slows to a crawl."

Currently only the 2TB models have 4096 byte blocks so this is unlikely.

HD / DMA issues and things like commflag can cause problems.

Also what motherboard chipset do you have. There was an issue where selected combinations of cards/chipsets could cause data corruption or i/o throughput issues.

Steve

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited
email   - steven at openmedia.co.nz