[mythtvnz] Good DVB-T USB capture device

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Apr 22 05:37:31 BST 2010

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 15:58:45 +1200, you wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> After a few weeks of struggling with my Nova-500-TD I came to accept
>> the fact that there is no way I can get TVONE to be recorded properly.
>> Since the other multiplexes work well I'm planning to install another
>> tuner.
>> I have no more PCI slots left, so the only option is USB.  I looked at
>> AVerMedia AVerTV DVB-T Volar (but apparently the aerial connector is
>> not that great), Pinnacle PCTV NanoStick DVB-T and the Hauppage
>> nova-500-t stick (I'm not too sure if I want another Hauppage in my
>> box). What do you use in that space? Do you have any particularly good
>> or bad experience with any USB DVB-T cards?
>>

>I'm using a Genius TV-GO USB tuner - change out of $55 and it "Just Works
>(TM)"
>
>Never failed in 6 months, it supports multiple PID filtering so multirec
>works OK, one day I might even get the coldplug blacklist to load the
>drivers correctly (I have to unplug & plug back in if the backend gets
>power cycled).

PID filtering has nothing to do with the tuner hardware.  That is done
in the main software, AFAIK, not even in the drivers.

I am not sure if your driver loading problem is the same as mine, but
this is what I needed to do to make my cards use the same adapter
numbers each time.  This is my /etc/modprobe.d/options-dvb.conf file:

#Options to fix the order of the /dev/dvb cards

#Set adapter numbers for Nova-TD 500 DVB-T card (dual tuners), and
AverMedia AverTV DVB-T Volar USB tuner (they use the same driver)
options dvb_usb_dib0700 adapter_nr=0,1,2

#Set adapter number for TeVii S460 DVB-S2 card
options cx23885 adapter_nr=3