[mythtvnz] DVB-T MHEG EPG

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 13:28:46 BST 2010

On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 12:18 AM, Tortise <tortise at paradise.net.nz> wrote:

> I think you are saying that essentially the code for a widget is also in
> the stream, together with the data.

That's what I'm saying.

If so I guess the widget interconnection is even less obvious, however if
> the same environment was reproduced as there was for the
> commercial widget it must be possible that the same changes become seamless
> for open source apps - as it is for the commercial boxes
> that do not need firmware updates?  I (very quickly) acknowledge that may
> be very difficult to mimic.

Myth already contains an MHEG stack - you can already use the Freeview EPG.
I guess what you're asking is how easy it would be to implement the api that
allows the EPG to tell the device what to record. I have no idea how hard
that would be, though I would guess it wouldn't be too bad. But that would
only allow you to schedule from their guide, it wouldn't get the data into
the Myth guide so it wouldn't be ideal.

> Would there be a need to publish the data on a website if individuals could
> pull the data from the streams themselves?

No, but that doesn't mean someone wouldn't do it!

Cheers,