[mythtvnz] DVB-T MHEG EPG

Tony Sauri hoiho.nz at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 13:25:27 BST 2010

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 20:51, Aaron Whitehouse wrote:
> What sort of application is it? Surely there will be a variety of
> FreeviewHD-approved products out there and they will have to be able to
> deal with updates.

A)
There is a procedure for Freeview product Certification and the agreement
documentation is available here:
http://www.freeviewnz.tv/images/uploads/freeview_dtt_certification_template.pdf

In Appendix E (Over the Air Downlaod facility) clause 1 states:
1. Subject to a two weeks advanced notice period, TVNZ will provide a DVB-SSU
based ‘over the air’ download facility for Certifiees to upgrade, maintain, or
otherwise fix software functions of the products certified under this
agreement.

B)
If you crawl around in the "Carousel" of data that rb-download grabs from the
MHEG stream you will find various binary files.  I am presuming that these
binary files are programe files that interprest the data in the HHEG
programming listing files and display them in pretty formats on the screen
and also do the clever pic-in-pic stuff too.
Now if Freeview want to change the format of the MHEG programme data they can
easily do that if they simultaneously send new programes that interpret the
new data format.  Then the TV's will be OK but our snooping efforts would
need to decode the new format before we can go back to regenerating our xmltv
files.

Also because of A above Freeview will have the ability to upload over the air
new capabilities into their MHEG handling firmware directly to all approved
freeview devices.

I can see this all ending in tears though .... If some TV manufacturer wishes
to upgrade a TV's firmware for any reason and some TV owners don't have their
TV on during the period of the download then that owners Tv will not be
updated.  If the firmware upgrade stems from a mandated Freeview update
everything turns to custard when the TV is turned on again.  Interesting...

Regards

Tony