[mythtvnz] Drive throughput

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Sun Apr 11 00:01:26 BST 2010

On Sat, April 10, 2010 8:36 pm, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 18:04:33 +1200, you wrote:
>
>>What would you all consider good in terms of enough performance for three
>>channels recording at the same time (off the Freeview DVB-S streams),
>> while
>>also watching something from the same drive?
>>
>>Would a Samsung F2EG 1TB drive be enough? Should I go for a couple in
>> Raid
>>zero, with another IDE drive I already have as the boot one?
>
> I would be a little wary of the "eco" and "green" type drives.  They
> are actually 5400 rpm mostly, although they can run faster sometimes.
> I have WD 1.5 Tbyte green drive and it has wildly varying performance
> with Vista - I can not predict if a given file transfer will be very
> slow or very fast.  It is supposed to speed up to 7200 rpm as
> necessary, but sometimes it does not even when copying a
> multi-gigabyte file.  And the base speed when running at 5400 is
> annoyingly slow.

In my own rig I have an old IDE disk for the root filesystem, database etc.

Then I have a WD WD10EACS for recordings, which is an older green series
drive.

My record is 7 recordings - 3 DVB-S and 4 DVB-T, off two tuners, whilst
watching a previously recorded show. Note that none of these were HD
recordings.

On the test rig I'm still using some older Seagate 250GB HDs. and I've run
over 8 recordings, some in HD, across 3 tuners without any recording or
playback issues.

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited - The Home of myPVR
email   - steven at openmedia.co.nz