[mythtvnz] Drive throughput

Hadley Rich hads at nice.net.nz
Sat Apr 10 09:45:08 BST 2010

On Sat, 2010-04-10 at 20:36 +1200, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> I would be a little wary of the "eco" and "green" type drives.  They
> are actually 5400 rpm mostly, although they can run faster sometimes.
> I have WD 1.5 Tbyte green drive and it has wildly varying performance
> with Vista - I can not predict if a given file transfer will be very
> slow or very fast.  It is supposed to speed up to 7200 rpm as
> necessary, but sometimes it does not even when copying a
> multi-gigabyte file.  And the base speed when running at 5400 is
> annoyingly slow.

I've got 4 WD Green drives and find them acceptably fast for storing
media and handling multiple recordings etc.

> My recordings partition is JFS (recommended), with everything else
> ext3.  I do not recommend ext4 yet as it is much more liable to lose
> data and get corrupted in emergency situations (such as power failure
> or PC crash).

I also use JFS and like it but I'm not sure your accusations on ext4 are
valid, do you have a source for them. I've been using it on my desktop
and laptop for a while with no issues.

--
http://nicegear.co.nz
New Zealand's Open Source Hardware Supplier