[mythtvnz] Drive throughput

AlanP alan.p at orcon.net.nz
Sat Apr 10 07:44:53 BST 2010

At 06:31 p.m. 10/04/2010, you wrote:
>I doubt drive bandwidth is the problem. It could be that you don't have
>enough ram so are swapping. It could be database performance - having the
>database on a different drive to the recordings is a good idea. The sort
>of random access to files that databases do can significantly impact the
>sequential read/write performance that video files typically enjoy.

1G of RAM in there, so probably not that. Probably.

>Now that Myth has storage groups you'd be far better of not having those
>drives combined with LVM or whatever. Just assign them to separate storage
>groups and let Myth handle the load balancing. Keep one drive free for the
>system and the database and everything will be great.

Oh good, looks like a fresh install of Knoppmyth is in the cards in a month
or so. (Just ordered a new amp for my guitar, no spare tech money at the mo.)

Might mount the 1TB as /tera or /myth or something, and have everything
else on the boot.

--
Alan Podjursky                  ICQ 24423014
"When in doubt, use brute force." -- Ken Thompson