[mythtvnz] thin net client frontend

criggie at criggie.dyndns.org criggie at criggie.dyndns.org
Mon Apr 5 06:15:03 BST 2010

noel at igrin.co.nz wrote:
> What is the general consensus for using a thin net client for a frontend?
> I am curious if something like a Compaq T5520 would be OK for use with a
> DVB-S backend.  I am only interested in SD, so what would be the
> recomendations?  Regards Noel

Basically, its not going to work.

The only way you could do that is to have some kind of thin client that
can boot a generic x86 OS from a USB drive or PXE boot.

Many of the thin clients I've seen have some kind of embedded system in
flash or rom, and then run RDP or xdm or similar.  They're not going to
do it for you.

One success comes with the Firebox firewalls.  They're simple cyrix
based boxes with no PS2 or USB, but they do have a couple PCI slots so
you can add a PCI video card and a PCI USB card.   Its still a stinky
old 5x86 though, so performance is low.

Other useful links
http://parker1.co.uk/epia_minimyth.php	epia netboot with minimyth

--