[mythtvnz] Mythconverg_backup.pl stopped backing up properly

Aaron Whitehouse lists at whitehouse.org.nz
Mon Apr 5 02:13:56 BST 2010

On a related note, mythconverg_backup.pl seems to have stopped working
properly some days ago.

I have a cron job to do a backup every day at around 4am.

.sql.gz files for each day are in the correct folder until 31 March
2010, when they change to being .sql files that are only 803 bytes
(instead of approx 9 MB) that say the following:
-- MySQL dump 10.13  Distrib 5.1.37, for debian-linux-gnu (x86_64)
--
-- Host: localhost    Database: mythconverg
-- ------------------------------------------------------

/*!40101 SET @OLD_CHARACTER_SET_CLIENT=@@CHARACTER_SET_CLIENT */;
/*!40101 SET @OLD_CHARACTER_SET_RESULTS=@@CHARACTER_SET_RESULTS */;
/*!40101 SET @OLD_COLLATION_CONNECTION=@@COLLATION_CONNECTION */;
/*!40101 SET NAMES utf8 */;
/*!40103 SET @OLD_TIME_ZONE=@@TIME_ZONE */;
/*!40103 SET TIME_ZONE='+00:00' */;
/*!40014 SET @OLD_UNIQUE_CHECKS=@@UNIQUE_CHECKS, UNIQUE_CHECKS=0 */;
/*!40014 SET @OLD_FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS=@@FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS,
FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS=0 */;
/*!40101 SET @OLD_SQL_MODE=@@SQL_MODE, SQL_MODE='NO_AUTO_VALUE_ON_ZERO' */;
/*!40111 SET @OLD_SQL_NOTES=@@SQL_NOTES, SQL_NOTES=0 */;

It looks to me as though the script is now crashing at this point.

Thankfully, I imaged the partition before I started, so I can restore
that to take a new dump from the database (and then restore the Lucid
partition).

Has anyone got any ideas why this may have happened? it is a pretty
serious bug, as I didn't realise it wasn't backing up properly (it
didn't even give an error when I did a manual mythconverg_backup from
the command line immediately before upgrading) and I'd like to file a bug.

Once I get everything back to the old setup, I'll try running the script
with the --verbose argument.

I'm wondering if there was some recording with a "?" or a funny
character that stopped it, so other people may want to check their backups.

Thanks,

Aaron