[mythtvnz] Weird epgsnoop/mythfilldatabase problem

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Sun Apr 4 00:54:49 BST 2010

> I'm getting some data generated by epgnoop that looks OK by eye but
> mythfilldatabase complains about as follows:

[snip]

>  <programme start="20100405033000 +1200" stop="20100405043000 +1200"
> channel="discovery.sky.co.nz">
>     <title lang="eng">Did The Mob Kill JFK?</title>
>     <desc>A riveting one-hour documentary that presents  compelling
> evidence supporting the theory that the mob was behind JFK's
> assassination.</desc>
>     <category>tvshow</category>
>     <category>Education/Science/Factual</category>
>     <rating system="SKY-NZ">
>       <value>M</value>
>     </rating>
>   </programme>

After a *very* careful look with a hex editor I found that the <desc> line
had two spaces with the top bit set (i.e. 0xa0 rather than 0x20) which was
causing the problems!!

If its a character set problem, could it be due to the missing
declarations in the web version of the freeview listings? By not declaring
it the merge of the two sources may be getting confused. I managed to get
tv_cat to barf on the data as well as mfdb. I've not tried xmltv_join as
I've had other problems with that when run from cron (maybe a missing path
or something) - but thats another story!.

--
Robin Gilks