[mythtvnz] OT: MySkiHDI

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 04:08:59 BST 2009

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 2:51 PM, Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 12:34:05 +1200, you wrote:
> >On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 12:27:35 Simon Green wrote:
> >> The box actually has four tuners. The forth one is used to download EPG,
> On
> >> Demand movies (which use half of your 320GB harddrive) and software
> >>  updates. When the box was first shipped, only two tuners were enabled.
> >>  This was changed with a software update later on.
> >>
> >> source:
> >>
> http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/gadgets/gadget-reviews/600346/Review-I-My
> >> Sky-HDI-i
> >
> >Thanks Simon, that's exactly what I was looking for. I was mostly just
> >wondering if their ads were being misleading.
>
> We still do not know if they can do multirec though

I'd be stunned if they used multirec. It's not really an easy feature for
users to understand unless you've got as many tuners as multiplexes.
Otherwise you have to explain why sometimes you can record X programs at
once and sometimes you can't. According to
http://www.lyngsat.com/optusd1.html Sky have 13 multiplexes so multirecord
would be of limited benefit to them.

- if not, then you
> will still run out of tuners during the pre/post roll overlaps between
> programs.

They never said you wouldn't run out of tuners. They said you could record 2
programs and watch another. Since they have 2 tuners dedicated to recording
and 1 dedicated to live TV (and another dedicated to downloads) that
statement is guaranteed to be true. If overlaps means you want to record
three things at once that's just tough - they never promised you could
record three things at once (even if the hardware is more than capable of
actually doing so).

Cheers,