[mythtvnz] Fullscreen display on CRT under Ubuntu

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Sun Sep 20 23:31:47 BST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stuart Whelan" <mythtv at somepointinthefuture.co.nz>
To: "MythTV in NZ" <mythtvnz at lists.linuxnut.co.nz>
Sent: Monday, September 21, 2009 10:06 AM
Subject: Re: [mythtvnz] Fullscreen display on CRT under Ubuntu

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 6:40 PM, Stephen Worthington
<stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> X configs are a bit complicated if you need to customise them.  We
> need a bit more information.  First, are you using the accelerated
> Nvidia drivers for your card (and if so what version), or the open
> source nv drivers, or even the Vesa drivers?  Second, what is your
> current /etc/X11/xorg.conf file?  Have you modified it at all?

Thank you everyone for the ideas and thoughts.

I am using the accelerated drivers, version 180.44.

My current xorg.conf is at the end of this email.

> Below is the XF86Config-4 file I used to use with my old CRT TV and
> S-Video under KnoppMyth.  It should be similar to what you want for
> your xorg.conf file for TV output, but TV output is 720x576 - it would
> need to be adjusted to do 1024x768.  I am not sure if an old CRT will
> do 1024x768 anyway - I would have thought that resolution was a bit
> more than it could cope with and even if it worked, everything would
> be too small and fuzzy.

I start getting a little confused here. I am using 1024x768, and it
does look fuzzy when viewing the desktop. But it looks fine when
mythtv is running.

> Also, an 9500 GT card will do VDPAU acceleration and for that you need
> to be using Nvidia driver version 180 (reasonably stable) or above
> (reportedly less stable, but I have not tried 185 or 190).

I need to read up on what VDPAU is I think.

> # nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings

Thanks for this, I will look it over and try playing around with my Xconf.org