[mythtvnz] Series link

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 09:11:56 BST 2009

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 1:48 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 1:33 PM, Criggie <criggie at criggie.dyndns.org>
> wrote:
> > Nick Rout wrote:
> >> I find "Direct To Home" particularly annoying. WTF does that mean?
> >> AFAICT both terrestial and satellite come to my home directly.
> >
> > Agreed, but on reflection, a couple hundred km to sugarloaf then a couple
> > km to your UHF aerial is way more direct than 37,000km up and another
> > 37,000 km back down.
>
> Which is why its confusing as DTH is satellite, which is less direct.

DTH/DTT describe how signals reach consumers, they are not standards. DVB-*
describe specific standards. I.e. DVB-S is one specific form of DTH
broadcasting.

DTH was originally meant to differentiate signals from the satellite that
were intended for end-users from those intended for network retransmission
(i.e. feeds). In that context it makes sense: those signals go directly to
the home, other signals on the same satellite go to a network who then
retransmit them via terrestrial broadcast or cable. The term predates DVB.

Cheers,