[mythtvnz] Sky decoder and PVR-500

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat Sep 12 10:31:02 BST 2009

I have just got a letter from Sky TV saying that they are turning off
their UHF transmitter in my region (Palmerston North) after
31-Oct-2009.  They are offering to do a free upgrade to digital for
me, and will give me Sky Basic, Sky Sports, Sky Movies and Skywatch
magazine for the same price as my UHF subscription for a year.

So now I need to know how the current digital decoder will be able to
be hooked up to my MythTV box.  I have two PVR-500s in that, and they
have S-Video as their best quality inputs.  Does the sky decoder have
an S-Video output?  Or is S-Video on a SCART, requiring a converter
cable?  How does the audio connect?  What cables come with the
decoder?

Also, what does the decoder send to my TV?  Does it have an HDMI
output?  Component?

Sky should, of course, have all this information on their web site.
Including pictures.  But they don't do anything as sensible as that.