[mythtvnz] epgsnoop fails with second DVB-S card fitted

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Tue Sep 1 13:21:52 BST 2009

> I've got a really weird one here!! I fitted a second DVB-S card last week
> and now although epgsnoop gets the Freeview EPG OK, I'm only getting
> maori-tv from the Sky transponders (I've tried a couple!!).
>
> Only noticed it because I'm only just running out of data for my Sky
> channels - I'd hate to loose out after paying for them!!
>
> Anybody any clues as to what is going here?

Eventually found the clue myself tonight... here is the story in case
anyone else goes down this road!

When I fitted the second card I deleted all cards and redefined them -
this has the advantage of getting known virtual recorder numbers so my epg
script can test if the card is free before doing its work.

What I forgot was to tick the box that says open card(s) on demand.

This meant that dvbtune could not tune to a Sky mux because the backend
had both cards open and pointing at Freeview muxes. The Freeview EPG was
collected OK (since the cards were already tuned) and the Sky data only
had the Maori channel because of a duplication of PID from the Freeview
mux epgsnoop data.

Phew!!

In the meantime, I'm getting a lot of noise from epgsnoop and MythTV
bindings since I updated to python-2.6

/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/MySQLdb/__init__.py:34:
DeprecationWarning: the sets module is deprecated
  from sets import ImmutableSet
/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/epgsnoop/snooper.py:9:
DeprecationWarning: The popen2 module is deprecated.  Use the subprocess
module.
  import popen2

Any fixes in the pipeline?

--