[mythtvnz] The Paradigm Shift

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Wed Oct 28 02:01:53 GMT 2009

On Wed, October 28, 2009 9:21 am, Nick Rout wrote:

>>> I do this a lot with sports. I've never experienced the problems you're
>>> describing.
>>>
>>> I've been using MythTV for 5 years. In my experience, and from what
>>> I've
>>> seen on the main MythTV mailing list over that time, the issues you are
>>> seeing are not typical. They are most likely caused by something
>>> specific to
>>> your setup.
>>

>> I too have the problem, that is; "Seeking past what was the end of the
>> recording and the time I started watching or seeking". I think it is
>> only
>> occurring when watching live or in-progress recordings of Freeview HD.
>
> I am pretty sure I have seen this issue reported in the main
> mythtv-sers mailing list. Check the archives, there may be a fix or
> news of an impending fix.
>
> The workaround is to exit the recording and start watching it again.
> If you have it set up that way it will start playing again from where
> you left off, and will be correctly indexed up to the current ("live")
> position.
>
> Clunky but it does work. I expect (but don't know) its to do with the
> way h264 is indexed within an mpeg2 ts stream. Remembering that those
> of the devs who live in the US don't have much experience of
> transmitted h264 (their HD tv is pretty well all mpeg2 encoded).

There have been a number of patches this week relating to h264 indexing.
Looks like there attempts to fix TS streams started to break playback of
MKV and other containers. Nice to see that there is work on this
particular area.

Trialling myPVR 3.0 Beta at the moment which uses 0.22 as a base and I'm
very impressed, although doing an upgrade of an environment from a
Knoppmyth 0.20 base to a MythBuntu 9.10 + 0.22 base has been an
interesting mission.

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited - The Home of myPVR
email   - steven at openmedia.co.nz