[mythtvnz] RFC 1855 - Netiquette Guidelines

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Tue Oct 27 06:29:43 GMT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robin Gilks" <g8ecj at gilks.org>
To: "MythTV in NZ" <mythtvnz at lists.linuxnut.co.nz>
Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 4:34 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtvnz] DVB multicasting

As far as I remember its defined in RFC 1855. Certainly been the '>'
character for the 20 years or so I've been using email...It may have
originated from one of the original *nix or DOS mailers but was certainly
broken by Microsoft when Outlook came along (just like they broke default
cursor position which should be AFTER the text being replied to).

Each nested quote (which should of course be trimmed) adds one level of
'>' characters so you can see who said what - as you can see above, it
looks like Hads said the whole lot...

All emails should be in plain text (no html), trimmed where appropriate,
quoted and bottom posted (or interleaved if it can be easily seen who said
what!)

======

Sorry, was trying hard not to respond but just saw this in an email signature...and had to reproduce it....

"The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to choose from."

I found nothing in that "standard" that specified any character be used nor anything about insertion of line feeds.  Appropriate
deletions of irrelevances is there and I guess I can probably do better in that regard.

I hope the focus of the previous thread is maintained please.