[mythtvnz] DVB multicasting

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 01:25:19 GMT 2009

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 1:40 PM,  <tortise at paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> [...]

End goals it seems would be to broadcast live TV round the house so
any computer (running any OS) can get any of the live channels upon
demand, while at the same time having myth "tune" to those channels
for when you want to record something for posterity.

Quite handy for a number of users who can't get the "what is live TV
for anyway" paradigm. ie visitors 'expect' to turn the TV on and watch
whats playing now.

> I'd like to have a myth backend multicast its stream to frontends, so that other frontends could hop on to simultaneously play the
> same stream.... Control issues are likely to arise.   Perhaps it is a simple as using a multicast IP for the backend IP, I have yet
> to try that.

Mostly I would have thoght that the reason you have two frontends is
to allow for different people watching different things. Isn't the
whole idea of MythTV to cater to independent and different tastes in
the same household/user group?

OK there might be times when people want to watch the same thing at
the same time at different TV sets, but Myth doesn't stop you doing
that. Two (or more) frontends can watch the same recording at once.
They won't be synched, but they won't be under multicast either
(becasue different systems will have different inherent delays).
Synchronising even music within a LAN is hard enough, let alone video
as well. So you're not going to achive synchronisation too easily, why
not let them watch independently, and let each room do its own comfort
breaks.