[mythtvnz] Myth system completely broken...

Ross and Jemima Knudsen ross.jemima at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 08:15:00 BST 2009

Hi all,

I wasn't trying to do anything on purpose but I allowed some updates on
my system and now Myth is completely bust.  I'm using JYA's release repo
on Ubuntu 9.04.  I got package upgrade notifications and in a moment of
stupidity I applied them.  So I tried various options to try and fix it
but without success.  Now I have completely removed Myth and when I try
and reinstall it is still broken.

Something strange I notice is that libmyth-0.22-0 is listed as an
available package in Synaptic (the 0.21 one is there too) and when I try
and install mythtv package it wants to install the 0.22 library instead
of the 0.21 one.  I thought this repo was still 0.21-fixes only.

When I do install everything the frontend comes up with an error saying
that it the backend and frontend are using two different protocols.

Also the database wizard (myth-database reconfigure) doesn't work
correctly.  When I try entering the password it just fails and
eventually will exit when you type the password a couple of times.  I
know the password is correct because I can use it to log into phpmyadmin
with it.

Anyone else having trouble?