[mythtvnz] Second USB DVB-T tuner causes high load

criggie criggie at criggie.dyndns.org
Thu Oct 8 21:34:26 BST 2009

Dylan Hall wrote:
> When I connect the second tuner the load average on the machine jumps to
> 1 even when all the daemons etc have been shut down and the machine is
> as idle as it's possible to get a linux box.

Load average is not an exact measure of how busy the machine is.
Do you have any zombie processes or anything in uninterruptable sleep?
ps auxw | egrep " D| Z"

uninterruptable sleep - a task that is waiting on disk IO normally
root    258  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?     D<   Sep14   1:06 [kswapd0]

zombie task - parent has died and not killed the child processes.
nut   17948  0.0  0.0   0     0 ?   Z   May14   0:00 [upsmon] <defunct>

Personally I've avoided USB devices just for this sort of thing.  Or try
shutting down virtualbox and see if the tuners do anything different.

Does lsusb -t   suggest that the two tuners are together on the same
bus?   Try moving USB ports to separate their IO from each other.

I doubt 32/64 bit is your problem, and given it only appears when there
are two tuners, maybe its to do with the tuner kernel module.  Do you
have another PC to run as a slave backend?

--
Criggie

http://criggie.dyndns.org/