[mythtvnz] DVB-T with Mythbuntu 9.04???

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun Oct 4 06:33:58 BST 2009

On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 14:20:02 +1300, you wrote:

>On 3/10/2009, at 11:55 AM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 11:44:12 +1300, you wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Have been running Mythbuntu 9.04 with DVB-S for a while and want to
>>> try out
>>> terrestrial.
>>>
>>> Is Mythbuntu 9.04 distro up to this or do I need to install a later
>>> build of
>>> MythTV?
>>>
>>> thanks
>>>
>>> /PhillipB
>>
>> You need a later version.  9.10 beta is out now and should work, but
>> there will be bugs.  If you can wait a little, 9.10 is due to be
>> released on 29-Oct-09.
>

>Stephen - How is 9.10 working out for you with freeview|HD?

So far so good.  I am not using it for recording at present (my DVB-T
tuners are on other boxes).  It plays back DVB-T recordings about as
well as the JYA version.

Handling of errors in .ts files still needs improving - I have some
quite bad ones where it will get lost and fail to recover properly.  I
get ongoing picture problems well after the point at which the error
occurred.  If I wait a few seconds, then skip backwards (so the skip
back point is past the error), it will normally recover properly then.
MediaPortal 1.0 can play the same files and will just skip over the
damaged section and start playing again normally after the damage.
MythTV 0.22 always displays some or a lot of digital artifacts for
errors, even when it does recover automatically.  I have also had one
lockup where I had to kill mythfrontend.  And on one TV3 HD file, I
had ongoing picture tearing about 1/3 of the way down from the top.
Skipping backwards did not fix it, but the file played fine when I
rebooted the JYA version (which is using Nvidia 180 drivers - 9.10 is
using 185).

On files without errors, it plays fine on all formats (720p and 1080i,
HD or SD).  And the skip forward and backward speeds are faster now.

There is a problem with tv_grab_nz-py.  It seems to be incompatible
with MythTV 0.22.  It is supposed to open a terminal window to allow
you to answer questions, but that window never appears.  The
"log.critical" messages from the script do show up in the MythTV
window.  I have not yet been able to find the documentation on how
grabber scripts are supposed to work so I can have a go at fixing it.
If anyone has a URL for that, please let me know, as I really need to
get it working if I am going to try recording.

The Ubuntu 9.10 startup changes are great - it boots extremely rapidly
now.  The hard disk is very busy, but does not seem to be thrashing.